Shoveling snow can result in back injuries or worse. We all need to get out of the house eventually following a huge snowfall like the one we just experienced here in Durham, NC. Keep a few things in mind, however, prior to going outside to shovel that snow. Back injuries and heart attacks due to snow shoveling are all too common and can be avoided. When shoveling snow, take a moment to assess the situation and realize the job may take more time than you think. Don’t rush the process—hurrying will add to the possibility of falling as well as increase the stress of the situation. Get your warm high traction boots on, suit up, grab your shovel, and head outside once you’ve taken a few moments to consider how to best approach the task. Wet snow is going to be very heavy. When you dig your shovel down into the snow, assess how heavy each shovel full is before trying to lift it, especially if you plan to twist around and pile that shovel full to the side.Twisting with the added weight of snow can injure your back quickly; doing that repetitively can cause spinal joint irritation or even a herniated disc. You may not feel the effects of injury immediately due to the numbing effects of cold so be sure to take breaks periodically. Be aware of the amount of cardiac exercise involved in moving snow, as well. Crouching, digging, lifting and twisting heavy loads repeatedly in the cold puts a lot of strain on your heart, especially if you are stressed in a hurry. Stay safe out there!
If you have been in a car accident and have sustained an injury as a result you may benefit from seeing a chiropractor. Chiropractic intervention is generally recommended to treat injury, reduce acute or chronic pain and increase mobility in joints and bones. Very often, the resulting injury after a car accident is pain in the neck, back and hips. In realigning these areas of the body, most people feel relief after one or more adjustments.
An auto accident lawyer Washington D.C. residents turn to can help put you on the right track on the legal side of things, but in the wake of a car accident, you may feel overwhelmed and concerned about your own health as well. In making the choice to see a chiropractor, you are taking care of your physical and mental health. A chiropractor will also be able to diagnose your injury which may be helpful should you need to pursue personal injury compensation in a court of law. Below are 5 reasons you are better off seeing a chiropractor after a car accident.
1. Diagnose injury- a chiropractor can determine the source of the pain you may be experiencing after your accident. There are some obvious car accident injuries that cause immediate pain and discomfort but other injuries, such as whiplash, may not present with obvious symptoms right away. A chiropractor will know the right questions to ask and can evaluate you to determine a diagnosis and course of treatment.
2. Documents for insurance company- in the event that you wish to pursue compensation for your personal injury, after a car accident, your insurance company and that of the other driver will request written proof of injury. In seeing a chiropractor right away, you are not only increasing your own health and well-being but you will also have your injury documented by a health professional. This will be useful in your case and you can provide the information to your insurance adjustor.
3. Short term relief- Immediately following a car accident, there is a lot to take care of. You will need to have your injuries evaluated and your car may not be operable. There will be many discussions with your insurance company regarding the details of your injury as well as the damage to your vehicle. Additionally, if you are without a vehicle, you will need to figure out transportation. In addition to all of that, you are injured and in pain. In seeking chiropractic treatment right away, you may expedite the healing process, find immediate relief and have better mental focus.
4. Long term relief- In treating any injury right away, you will likely reduce the long term symptoms and discomfort caused by the injury. In seeking the guidance of a professional chiropractor, you may reduce the need for surgery and pain medication. In doing so you will increase your overall health and well-being.
5. Peace of mind- Experiencing a car accident can be incredibly scary and traumatic especially if you sustain an injury as a result. In fact, it can be downright stressful. You are dealing with insurance companies and the medical bills are piling up. That stress not only affects your physical health but also your emotional well-being. In seeking chiropractic help, and dealing with your physical injury, you will also experience better overall health and peace of mind.
The field of chiropractic medicine is gaining momentum in the United States as a holistic form of treatment for injury and general discomfort or pain. The adjustments made by a chiropractor allow the body to better heal without the use of pharmaceutical pain management. The fundamental belief behind chiropractic intervention is that in realigning the body’s bones and joints the body will be able to heal faster from injury. Additionally, proper alignment of the musculoskeletal system enables improved functioning for all other systems as well. If you are in pain, contact a chiropractor today and start the healing process.
Thanks to our friends and contributors from Cohen & Cohen, P.C., for their insight into car accidents.