Acupuncture In Chapel Hill, NC
What are the uses and effects of acupuncture?
Today acupuncture is the most common form of Traditional Chinese Medicine in the United States, and in Chapel Hill, North Carolina.
Acupuncture is a 3,000-year-old holistic medicine. Following skillful examination of the patient, a trained acupuncturist stimulates certain points on the body through the insertion of very fine needles into the skin. Acupuncture at our Chapel Hill, NC center provides patients with the opportunity to relax in a comfortable setting during treatment and are advised to meditate and rest during the treatment. When the needles are removed, the recipient experiences an unparalleled state of calm that can last for quite a while. In some estimations, this calm or ‘yin’ experience that activates the parasympathetic nervous is responsible for much of the healing our mind-body receives.
Let’s take a look at some of the most common questions we hear at Acupractic Natural Healing Center in Chapel Hill, NC.
What are the uses and effects of acupuncture?
According to acupuncture theory, the main goal of acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC is to balance qi- body energy. This body energy is divided into yin and yang which is roughly understood in western medicine as the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous systems branches of the autonomic nervous system.
There are six primary effects of acupuncture:
- Analgesic – The reduction or elimination of pain is the most common known effect of acupuncture.
- Sedation – Acupuncture decreases brain wave activity that could be related to conditions such as insomnia, epilepsy, stress, mental disorders, and anxiety. Deep relaxation, better sleep, and calmness may be the result.
- Immune Enhancing – Chapel Hill, NC acupuncture has shown to increase antibodies, which therefore strengthen the body against illness and disease.
- Homeostatic – Apart from healing illness, disease, or pain, an acupuncturist may seek to return the body’s internal systems to a natural balance.
- Psychological – Measurable changes in the chemistry of the brain has been observed during acupuncture research. These changes result in a calm, tranquil effect that can last for several days or more.
- Motor Recovery – Acupuncture may be able to help patients who are experiencing hindrances in their fine or gross motor skills, or who have been paralyzed.
Conditions that Acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC May Treat
- Low back pain
- Neck and shoulder pain
- Joint pain
- Chronic headaches and migraines
- Blood pressure imbalances
- Nausea or vomiting from chemotherapy
- Certain gastric disorders
- Menstruation problems
- Dental pain
- Acute bronchitis
- Sleep disorders
- Certain eye disorders
- Facial palsy
- Paralysis after stroke
- Intercostal neuralgia
- Sexual dysfunction
- Inducing labor
- + More
Our professionals providing acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC want you to know that acupuncture is considered a holistic healing therapy because aspects related to the whole body and mind are taken into account for diagnosis and treatment. Whereas modern medicine has just begun to explore the connection between pain, inflammation and the mental state of depression. For instance, acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC observes the 5 element theory used in Chinese Medicine to understand this and other connections to heal on deep levels for millennia. Five Element Theory is a means of explaining our connection with nature and the world around us- each of us experiences a relationship in our own body and mind with the 5 elements: wood, fire, earth, metal, and water.
Pre-technology and pre-industrial age, the ancients recognized each person’s deep interrelatedness with the world around. They also noticed patterns of disease in people that are related to what is seen in nature. Using the subtle arts of palpation and physical examination, practitioners have been able to detect energy blockages that cause ill-health. Chapel Hill, NC Acupuncture treatment aims to relieve these blockages.
An acupuncturist can explain to you the many benefits of this ancient form of treatment. When performed by a qualified acupuncturist, acupuncture is safe and the side effects and risks are minimal.
Today’s acupuncturist is qualified and fully licensed health professionals.
Acupuncture can also be used in conjunction with other treatments and modern medicine, and may even help patients who cannot tolerate certain medications. Acupuncture is a low-tech, highly portable treatment option that can even be brought to a person’s home or other areas with little difficulty, making it particularly beneficial in some situations, as well.
Is acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC a viable option for me?
When your concerns include pain or any of the above, acupuncture may be a good choice. Your acupuncturist might also recommend other treatments that help to connect and balance the body, mind, and spirit. These treatments may include massage, biofeedback, homeopathy, moxibustion, herbology, and more.
How can I choose an acupuncturist in Chapel Hill, NC?
If you are considering acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC, it is important you take similar steps to that of choosing a primary care physician.
- Review credentials. Most states mandate acupuncturists pass an exam from the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine following 4 years postgraduate training at a credentialed acupuncture school. Acupractic: Acupuncture and Chiropractic in Chapel Hill is licensed in the state of North Carolina.
- Call the Chapel Hill, NC acupuncture clinic to find out about their services and even about experience treating your particular condition. You might even schedule an initial consultation to discuss your needs, what’s involved in the treatment, and how it might help you. Visit the clinic’s website to learn more about treatment philosophy, conditions treated, even to learn more about acupuncture theory. Many sites offer online scheduling on their website and other valuable information. Ask if you can stop by the clinic for a visit and get an idea of it.
- Check out online reviews of Chapel Hill, NC acupuncture clinics to get an idea of what other people have experienced or how they have benefitted from care there. Reviews of individual practitioners can provide important insight and help you in making your decision.
- Be sure to ask your insurance company if acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC from Acupractic Natural Healing Center is covered as many policies allow a certain number of sessions. You can ask the front desk assistant at an acupuncture clinic to help you verify your insurance and determine what benefits might be available for you in office. You can also ask the clinic about whether or not they offer any packages or discounts for upfront payment.
If you would like to schedule a consultation call Acupractic Natural Healing Center in Chapel Hill today.
Acupuncture Therapy Helps Anxiety Disorders
Acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC can help to manage symptoms of anxiety. Anxiety is rampant in our modern society. Anxiety patients suffer. There are a variety of symptoms and physical manifestations associated with anxiety, and they are not at all pleasant. They range from muscle tension, shortness of breath, and elevated heart rate to full-blown and debilitating headaches, pain, panic attacks, and insomnia. Anxiety is a complicated and persistent condition that is generally treated using medications. Contact our acupuncture practice in Chapel Hill, NC for help today.
Anxiety Medications Can Be Addictive
Unfortunately, many anxiety medications can cause addiction if used longer than a short period. And once addiction sets in, it’s very tough to get off of them. Ceasing anxiety medications can cause both distressing and dangerous symptoms, and even result in seizures or death.
It’s easy to see why finding another method for treating anxiety is of utmost importance. That’s why we advocate acupuncture treatment for our Chapel Hill, NC patients when they are experiencing anxiety.
Clinical Evidence Shows Acupuncture Benefits Anxiety Patients
Recent clinical research studies have verified that acupuncture treatment is an effective treatment for anxiety. Evidence shows that the effects of acupuncture for treating anxiety are significant when compared to conventional treatments. Acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC has a profound impact on reducing anxiety and depression when compared to traditional medical treatment involving psychiatric medicines and psychotherapy. One particular study revealed that acupuncture therapy produced twice the reduction in symptoms as those conventional therapeutic approaches.
Additionally, looking more in-depth at the biological methods of anxiety reduction reveals that acupuncture has also been shown to increase the release of the body’s natural “feel good” chemicals called endorphins. Endorphins play a vital role in the regulation of both physical and emotional stress responses including heart rate, blood pressure, digestive function, and pain.
Favorable Results Typically Happen Quickly
With acupuncture, Chapel Hill, NC patients often see results after just one session, with results improving even more with ongoing treatment. Acupuncture may be particularly helpful for patients who want to limit or stop the use of prescription or other drugs. Since it regulates the body’s chemical balance naturally, acupuncture can even lead to people being totally medication-free. Side effects of acupuncture are minimal and infrequent, whereas many prescription drugs can have serious side effects and can lead to dependency.
Indeed, acupuncture has increased in popularity since the 1970s because it works. When external circumstances are beyond your control, it can set off your anxiety response. Making an appointment for acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC allows your body to take back the lost control.
In the modern age, we are continuously under pressure and stress to perform, which can lead to disease and other significant health issues. In addition to addressing symptoms when they arise, acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC can be great for day-to-day health maintenance. It may promote a better quality of life.
Improving your health and your quality of life is what we’re all about at Acupractic Natural Healing Center. We have more than 20 years of experience helping patients through acupuncture treatment. We would love the opportunity to talk with you about how we could improve your health situation or circumstances. Call us to schedule a consultation for acupuncture Chapel Hill, NC patients recommend.
Frequently Asked Questions for Prospective Acupuncture Patients
Are you considering acupuncture in Chapel Hill, NC to help prevent or treat health conditions? You may be wondering if acupuncture is an effective treatment for you. The reality is, acupuncture is a centuries-old practice that originated in China. Because it’s important to put your health first, it’s only natural that you will want to know what you can expect from acupuncture before undergoing treatment. Chapel Hill, NC acupuncture from Acupractic Natural Healing Center can provide patients with a variety of benefits. The following, are the answers to questions often asked by prospective acupuncture patients:
What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture involves the placement of hair thin needles throughout key points of the body to improve energy flow. These points are known as meridians, which in Chinese medicine are considered an energy highway. Through treatment from a practiced acupuncturist, patients may find that they can better manage their overall health. Additionally, Chapel Hill, NC acupuncture can help to treat a variety of health conditions, including:
- Sleep Disorders
- Respiratory Conditions
- Gastrointestinal Issues
- Back/Neck/Shoulder Pain
- Side Effects from Cancer Treatments
Where will an acupuncturist administer the needles?
Needles are for one time use only, following treatment, needles are disposed of. During sessions needles are administered to meridians, which make up 14 different pathways throughout the body. These pathways are considered to release endorphins and improve energy flow throughout the body.
How big are the needles used during Chapel Hill, NC acupuncture sessions?
Perhaps one of the biggest concerns from prospective patients are the needles used during sessions. Needles are hair thin, resulting in minimal bleeding. Many may worry that acupuncture is painful. However, it’s important to be aware that the needles used are much smaller than those accessed in traditional medicine. During sessions, patients can expect to feel tingling for a very brief period of time when needles are initially placed.
What does an acupuncture session in Chapel Hill, NC entail?
Acupuncture sessions can vary. However, you can expect your acupuncturist to take the time to discuss with you your health concerns prior to each session. They will also ask you a number of very specific questions based on the health condition you may be experiencing. Prior to administering needles, they will also take your pulse. This helps your acupuncturist to understand the energy flow within your body. Your pulse will help your acupuncturist to determine which specific points on the body require additional support.
How can I prepare for my first session?
You may be feeling apprehensive for your first acupuncture session in Chapel Hill, NC. Knowing what to expect can help ease your mind as you prepare for your first session. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Sessions will last anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. You can expect your first session to last longer than most.
- Because you will not know how you will respond to treatment, give yourself a bit of time to recover after your first session. Some people may feel a little tired after some sessions.
- While treatment is administered, your practitioner will help you to feel as comfortable as possible. You can expect to relax and may even nap while needles are in place.
- Wear comfortable, loose clothing.
- Drink plenty of water and avoid heavy foods and caffeine prior to sessions.
When considering acupuncture in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, it’s only normal to have a number of questions regarding what treatments will entail and how they may help you. Give yourself the opportunity at working with practitioners who can provide you with a holistic treatment plan that is tailored to suit your needs. For more information regarding Chapel Hill, NC acupuncture, contact Acupractic Natural Healing Center for qualified and experienced professionals.