Acupuncture Chapel Hill, NC
Guidelines for Cough, Flu Symptoms:
Chiropractic and acupuncture offer supportive therapies for many types of illness but they do not cure Covid19 and cannot claim to improve immunity to it. Hands-on spinal mobilization, massage, and acupuncture therapy offer unique healing alternatives and may, nonetheless, be your first choice in healthcare for many conditions. These alternative medicines may provide relief from pain and stress and we support your option to choose them especially if doing so keeps you from visiting the overloaded emergency room and hospital. Nonetheless, our first goal is the well-being of our clients and staff and we recognize that patients with contagious illness that is easily spread should seek other healthcare options until the contagious period is over.
As a healthcare office dedicated to the best interests of all our patients, we respectfully ask that you follow CDC guidelines when visiting our office. If you are sick with flu or coronavirus symptoms, please cancel your appointment and do not come into the office. Symptoms may include: cough, runny nose, fever. Please use your best judgement as cough and runny nose accompany allergies which are not contagious. If you have been exposed to anyone infected with the flu or coronavirus, please tell us so that we can take extra precautions. We understand that testing may not be available for all strains of cold and flu and we ask you to use your best judgment.
When visiting the office, use best hygiene practices including: wash your hands, cover your cough, discard used tissues and cleansing products in the nearest trash receptacle. Adequate facial tissues, wipes, disinfectant sprays are available in office for your use. We offer everyone disposable gloves and facial masks for added protection, as well. Deborah and Dr. Lisa take their own temperatures every morning to assess their health status and we will close the office if needed, but we’re doing our best to reduce the risk of contagion.
Additional suggestions to keep you healthy in between visits:
- Stress and lack of sleep worsen immune response. Where possible strive to reduce stress and get adequate sleep- 7-8 hours a night. Herbal products shown to reduce stress naturally include lavender, chamomile, and rosemary.
- Exercise adequately but don’t overdo it. Too much exercise stresses the body. Walking in nature has been shown to reduce stress and is great exercise, too.
- Avoid travel and crowded places when you aren’t feeling well.
- Many viruses and infectious bacteria thrive on sugar. Eat well and consume less sugary foods. Choose foods high in protein and healthy fats, and fruits and vegetables. Additional fiber in the latter eliminates toxins in the body.
- Probiotics present in any foods support digestive health and the immune system. Common sources include: yogurt, kefir, kombucha, sauerkraut, dark chocolate, kimchi, tempeh, sourdough, pickled foods, miso. Probiotics are also available in supplement form. Fiber assists the growth and function of probiotics and is healthful for this reason, as well.
- Drink lots of water and tea. Water flushes the body and reduces stagnation. Tea contains herbal compounds the body can use to heal itself.
If you can’t find or don’t want to use medical disinfectants, many herbs have antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial properties. Consider adding the following herbs to your daily diet: ginger, elderberry, licorice, oregano, sage. Solutions of some of these may even be helpful for cleaning, if necessary. Realize that these herbs have not been clinically proven to kill the virus, however and one should not maintain a sense of false confidence. As always, maintain social distancing where possible and wash your hands as often as necessary.
Try to not stress over Corona Virus and other viruses this season. Use reasonable precautions to protect yourself and those around you. If you have further questions, contact us.
The Chiropractic and Acupuncture offices of Dr. Lisa Oskardmay DC, LAc.